Parrotlet becomes aggressive on carpetted flooring
Posted: 25 February 2011 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
New Participant
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-02-11

Has anyone here experienced this?

I’ve never seen this happen with any other type of parrots in my home before (I’ve known plenty - african greys, cockatoos, conures, parakeets, lovebirds) but my parrotlet’s (my first) demeaner changes completely whenever she flies down to the floor. It’s like “Jekyll & Hyde.” She’ll go from calm and content to aggressive and charging anyone’s feet without any discrimination when she lands on carpet. I’ve observed that she doesn’t have this reaction on non-carpetted flooring but it is harder for her to travel on foot on a more slippery surface anyhow. It is usually just us in this house (no other pets or people). This is also regardless of whether or not there are any of her toys on the floor. I once discussed this with a parrot behaviorist and trainer who was giving a seminar on behalf of the Mickaboo organization. He could only speculate that the feel of the carpet under her feet might somehow remind her of nesting material which therefore leads her to feeling territorial and advised me to keep her off of the floor as much as possible. This is tough though since she has a will of her own. When I scoop her back up on my arm though, she goes back to being calm and content.

I was just wondering if this behavior is specific to certain parrot groups (like parrotlets) or if this behavior can be seen in any type (that is, depending on individual personality and temperament).

Posted: 28 March 2011 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
New Participant
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-03-26

Its very interesting. I am having 3 parrots with me but I have never seen such kind of behaviour. Anyone else experienced this?

Signature 

West Auckland Wedding Venue