Housing Different Breeds Together??
Posted: 02 November 2007 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
New Participant
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-10-16

Hello All,

I’ve got a 3 year old Severe Macaw.  He is loving and really loves attention, when he wants it anyway. smile  I was considering getting him a companion bird to keep each other company.  Does anyone here have any experience with combining different breeds of birds in the same cage.  I’ve done it with finches and canaries but never with the bigger birds.  I would like to get a cockatoo as a companion for my severe but I want to make sure that they are not going to hurt each other and that they will both really like the companionship before I try it.  The cage I have is about 4 and a half ft high, 3 and a half ft wide and 3 ft deep all of it being birdie living space.  I don’t have the room in my house for another cage, so both birds would have to go in the same cage.  My Severe gets a TON of out of the cage time.  Pretty much if we are home and awake then he is out of the cage.  That would not change.  Cockatoo would probably be an umbrella or a sulfer or something along those lines.

Ok, long story short, I want to get opinions on putting a severe macaw and a cockatoo in the same cage together in the cage that the dimensions are listed above.  Any experience or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks
Crystal

Posted: 23 November 2007 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
New Participant
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-08-13

Could you not get the same species. Same sex if you wish to avoid breeding?
I wonder how you would introduce the second parrot. Advice is usually given to use the buddy technique. I. E put them close together but caged separately until they make friends.
I have brought a young cockatoo into a 2 pet grey situation with 2 pet greys but the birds were not put in the same cage for a long while. They were loose in a conservatory, aviary or the house,#
Good luck
Dot

Posted: 28 November 2007 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2007-06-10

If you mean you’d just put the new bird in right away, there might be a real disaster waiting to happen… Even if they were same species, it’s possible that they don’t accept each other and end up fighting. The cage is enough for one bird, but still so small, that two large birds can’t avoid each other in any way. If they begin a fight, it can get really serious, when there’s no escape possibility.

I’d say that if you can’t get another cage, don’t get another bird.

Milla

Posted: 29 November 2007 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2007-05-28

Two large birds—-two cages.
No guarantee they are going to even like each other, especially if the macaw is bonded to a human.

‹‹ Showering!      Mixing ››