best mates…
Posted: 22 January 2008 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
New Participant
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2007-09-24

best mates at the Tropical Birds Land at Desford UK..

Image Attachments
phpgCgcZ3AM.jpg

Posted: 22 January 2008 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2007-06-10

Hello.  Do those two look like that because they’re babies?  If not, why?    Cindi

Signature 

Cindi Eppers

Posted: 23 January 2008 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
New Participant
Rank
Joined  2007-09-24

No, they are not young birds they have this look because they have been unhappy and not well looked after bird.. quite sad. Now they are at the Parrot Place in Desford where they will slowly get better.

Posted: 23 January 2008 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-10

I can’t believe that a person could allow such a beautiful thing as a bird to be neglected in such a manner. 
See the loves of my life at:  http://cynthus850.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0

Cindi Eppers

Signature 

Cindi Eppers

Posted: 23 January 2008 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
New Participant
Rank
Joined  2007-09-24

Ohhhhh! Beautiful pictures! I know it seems strange but some people buy parrots just because they look cute without any knowledge about their emotional needs! I love those two parrots and every time I go at that parrot center I check out how they are getting on!

Posted: 23 January 2008 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-10

That’s exactly how I came by my first parrot.  As soon as he started in squawking for attention my husband wanted me to give him back!  Instead, I went online, found a parrot group (Patagonian Feathers to Treasure) and started asking questions.  They were invaluable.  The very first day the administrator of the group gave me his phone number & I called him.  Then I educated myself; now, 17 birds later, we’re all sitting here fat & happy in Florida.  I would love to visit some of the parrot parks, do an ecotour, etc., but it’s hard (as you may know) to find someone whom I can trust to care for my fids while I’m away.  I’m not complaining.  My life is fulfilling; never has been more!

Signature 

Cindi Eppers

Posted: 24 January 2008 01:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
New Participant
Rank
Joined  2007-09-24

HI… I know what you mean about finding someone you can trust with your birds! I have been very like and I have found Mandy and her son, 7 years old Dan, she is a volunteer for a bird rescue and my parrot Pepe got in love with her as soon as he met her. They look after him very well! May be you can try to see if in a bird rescue there is anybody that can go and look after the birds while you are away?!

Posted: 24 January 2008 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2007-05-28

Looks like a classic case of amazons being fed a totally dry diet, maybe some sweet fruit. Including the wing chewing behavior on the left. I hope they are getting lots of soft, sprouted, raw, cooked, foods and veggies. The plucking will most likely stop immediately on a soft food diet with supplements. cool smile

Posted: 24 January 2008 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
New Participant
Rank
Joined  2007-09-24

Hi yellowfronts! I do not know on what diet they two cuties are on at the moment. It seems to me they are getting better each time I visit the sancturay! I will take another picture next time I go and posti it here so we can compare!! I will also have a chat with the keepers!
Cheers for the information
Anita

Posted: 24 January 2008 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2007-05-28

Anita,

One of the best things for amazons with mineral deficiencies is fresh fruit pips, ie papaya, guava, passionfruit, fig, pomegranate, melons. Something they were not likely to get in a bad home and which plucking parrots usually devour.  cool smile

Posted: 25 January 2008 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
New Participant
Rank
Joined  2007-09-24

I will keep that in mind, Thanks!!!!

Posted: 04 September 2008 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-10

Anita & Pepe, 

how are the two Amazons at Tropical Birds Land at Desford UK doing?        Cindi Eppers.

Signature 

Cindi Eppers

‹‹ Rainbow Lorikeets      Quick flock photo’s ››