Wetting pellets- Opinions
Posted: 15 March 2008 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2007-06-10

I’m receiving a lot of comments by e-mail of parrots wetting their pellets in their water bowls. Does someone know if there are some studies or observation on this? I welcome opinions or experiences.
Thanks,
Gemma

Posted: 15 March 2008 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  833
Joined  2007-06-17

Hi Gemma,

I don’t know if there are any studies on this behavior, but as far as I know it’s very common. My birds don’t soak them, but they don’t eat many and they have a large choice of fresh foods available.
All best,
Cristiana

Signature 

Cristiana Senni
World Parrot Trust-Italy

Il World Parrot Trust-Italia su Facebook

Follow the WPT on Twitter

Posted: 18 March 2008 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2007-11-05

Hello!
My ringneck parakeet likes to wet food in water. She wet cereals, pellets but also fruits. I think it is an instinct because apples peaches and pineapples are not so dry to need to be bathed.

p.s. this attitude could help us in changing their feeding from coloured pellets into naturals, you only have to put a bowl with fruit juice near the one with pellets, they will do the rest. It’s true!!!
Bye!

Posted: 18 March 2008 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2007-05-28

Our experience is the parrots who do that are instinctually moist food eaters or are birds with a need for wet food.. Eclectus and amazons are classic examples. It is not natural to force the birds onto a 75% or more pelleted diet simply because you have been told that is the easiest and best way to feed your birds.

Do a little test. Put five or six pellets into a small cup. Then with a teaspoon add equivalent amount of water and sit back and wait to see how long it takes to hydrate those dessicated pellets.
If a parrot without significant saliva is eating that dry diet, the same thing is going on in its crop—it has to drink that much water to moisten the foods given and it can take a long time depending on chewing and the kind of pellet. Most parrots do not by habit drink that much water. Especially dry land species like budgerigars, cockatiels, Australian cockatoos and parakeets, certain conures, etc. Therefore we are forcing our birds to eat a diet that is too dry for their evolved systems. Not good. It is also very dangerous when chicks in the nest end up with dry diet in a crop and not enough water to hydrate and digest it.

A parrot carrying his pellets to the water dish and dunking them is sending a message to its owners—I WANT WET FOODS!!
Give them more cooked and sprouted and soaked and raw foods.

Also pellets are not meant to be wetted and left standing. They become perfect medium for airborne bacteria and contact microbes to grow within. That soup you see after several hours can be a recipe for e coli or pseudomonas or whatever.

cool smile

Posted: 19 March 2008 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2007-11-05

Hi Yellowfront, I agree with you when you say that parrots prefer wet foods, but it doesn’t explain why yesterday my parakeet put in the waterbowl some cabbage, some apple, many pieces of string beans and of capsicum witch were very juicy.
p.s. just to specify, my parrots can choose every day between a variety of fruits, vegetables and cooked soups made with cereals, legumes and vegetables too. Pellets and raw cereals are only an integration.
A smile

Posted: 19 March 2008 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2007-05-28

Sounds like your bird has a wonderful choice.
Another reason some parrots place items in their food bowl is to make them manageable to eat. If pieces are either too big or too hard for the bird to comfortably chew and ingest, he or she might try soaking them to soften.

Or maybe your parakeet is starting a hydroponics garden. Another smile. cool smile

Posted: 20 March 2008 04:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2007-06-10

Thank you for you answer and thoughts on this, Yellowfronts. Most people who write to me are Grey owners. I do have a Grey and he’s does not do that, he does not eat pellets either. I offer him veggies,  sprouted legumes, fruits, seeds and palm nuts. Most parrots I know whose diet are similar to mine, do not wet their foods either.
Thanks again,
Gemma