Help new to large parrots
Posted: 23 April 2008 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
New Participant
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-04-23

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and would love some help.

Have owned budgies/cockateils/ bourkes parrots at some stage for the last 23 years ( boy that makes me feel old ) Have only had my budgie and a cockateil in the house, but thats been years ago now.

I have had a very tame female Galah fly into my yard. Have rang the local vets to see if anyone calls in about her. If no one does we will keep her.

We need advice on how to cope with a larger parrot. I am ok about the diet side of things. Just want to keep her behaviour in check. She has been on our shoulder and have just read some where else that this is a no no. This is where I don’t want to end up making mistakes with her. Can anyone help??

Ree

Posted: 25 April 2008 03:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2007-06-13

Hello Ree,

You could start learning more about parrot behaviour by looking at this area of parrots.org:

http://www.parrots.org/index.php/referencelibrary/beginnerguidetoparrots/

There is a lot to read here, but as a smaller parrot owner you will be familiar with much of the advice already, so perhaps you should start with Barbara Heidenreich’s ‘New Parrot Owner Behaviour Guidelines’.  It is ‘Information designed to help you create a well-behaved companion parrot’.

Alison

Posted: 25 April 2008 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
New Participant
Rank
Joined  2008-04-23

Thanks Alison. Will do.

Its been day 5 today since “Alice” flew into our lives. I have rang vets and looked in local papers and nothing. I don’t want to get my hopes up too high that she is going to be ours…..but we all have fallen for her.

This afternoon she has made her first little squawk at me.

So far she has been really quiet and will happily hop up and down. She loves scratches. This afternoon she acted a little scared of me. I hadn’t done anything different. Then when I was trying to get her out of her cage to clean it, she didn’t want to hop up and was trying to nip me…thats when she squawked at me.

Any ideas as to why the change???

Posted: 25 April 2008 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2007-06-13

Perhaps she has just got some attitude back because she is now well fed and warm, so doesn’t feel the need to charm you so much?  I’m no expert on this but again parrots.org could help you, try this question on a parrot behaviour expert here:

http://www.parrots.org/index.php/forumsandexperts/askanexpert/

You could read through the replies to questions already posed and pick up some clues about Alice’s behaviour, and about how you have reacted to it - just in case you are actually prompting or encouraging something without realising it.

She sounds like a lovely bird.  Not sure if I should wish for you to be able to keep her, or hope that she will meet up with her previous owners as they must be missing her.

Posted: 25 April 2008 04:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
New Participant
Rank
Joined  2008-04-23

Thanks again.

Yes, I’m on the fence. I really think she is gorgeous, but she isn’t mine. Thats what I keep telling myself. If she was mine I know I would be beside myself with worry over her if she had escaped. The vet nurses have said oh its 5 days she is yours….well I don’t feel that at all. I know I would want someone to give my bird back! Its not long enough yet, but I want to give her the best know matter how long she is with us for.

So we will just take every day at a time and see what happens. If we are meant to keep her then thats what will work out.

We had 4 ducks and the one night I was home late and didn’t lock them away, 3 disappeared next morning. I was a distraught mess. The poor little lone duck was so sad I had to go and get some ducklings for her. I searched for the lost ones for weeks. There was not a feather anywhere, so thinking they may have flown away? We will never know which is the hardest thing.

Thats why I almost feel guilty at having her atm, I just keep telling myself that if we didn’t rescue her who knows what may have happened to her. She was soo thirsty and hungry.

Maree

Posted: 25 April 2008 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2007-05-28

Maree,

Some notes about galahs. 

Try to coax her out of the cage with a treat (sunflower seed, pine nut, etc) instead of making her obey when she is resting or content;or come back a little later to try again to clean the cage.

Train her to step up on a small stick so if she ever is in a nippy mood she will get up without fingers being close to her.

Along with some small pellets (cockatiel size) and raw greens and veggies grated, galahs prefer small seeds (not large ones like sunflower and safflower); canary and the two millet types and buckwheat and sesame and hemp etc. Especially if sprouted or germinated for 24 hours then rinsed well, they are nutritious.  Giver her a tiny sprinkle of clean grit once every week or two…just a salting amount.

Green stems are better than leaves which wilt.

Galahs do have a tendency to get overweight so keeping her with wings to fly some is best and avoid fatty foods and treats.

You may wish to put an ad in the lost and found of newspaper…..“FOUND, Parrot—-Call and describe.”  It will make you feel more secure waiting for an owner to appear or not. Is she banded?  By the way, a brief cloaca bone examination and a close look at the eye color can usually tell you whether you have a potential boy or girl. cool smile

Posted: 25 April 2008 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
New Participant
Rank
Joined  2008-04-23

That is lots of great info!

I am a little embarressed as I didn’t even think of putting an ad in. I have been too busy ringing vets and looking in the paper for a lost ad. The light didn’t even come on to but a ad in….oops.  red face What a great idea it will help ease my guilt.

Does anyone know whether its advisable to let her sit on my shoulder?

I think she is relaxing alot so letting her personality come through. Have tried her with a stick to hop up but she was terrified of it. I will have to work on it.

Am off shopping today so will get alot of what you have suggested. smile

Posted: 25 April 2008 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2007-05-28

We let all our trustworthy birds sit on our shoulder. It lets us do things with our hands while the bird is with us. As long as it is not dangerous and she behaves, fine. Most of the rules are for unpredictable or stubborn birds. cool smile

Incidentally. Most galahs are ambivalent about toys, especially large plastic ones. They love to toothpick soft wood, clothespins, etc. They often like cloth like an old frayed denim to chew (be careful of long tangled threads) and they can chew for hours on safe baskets or coconut husk or brown paper bags to rip up.