how do i stop my hahns macaw nipping
Posted: 19 October 2008 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]
New Participant
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-10-19

i got a hahns macaw last week hes 5 month old he will come out of his cage fly straight to me or even walk up my arm. he will happily take a drink from me treats etc but nips me occasionaly.soon as my hand goes near him he will bite me even though he seems to like me the rest of the time.i noticed he was nippng the previous owner too who reared him she would tap his beak but im not sure this is the way i want to stop him from doing it any ideas id be grateful as im attached to him already and want him to be happy

Posted: 23 January 2009 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
New Participant
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-01-19

If its any concelation , my african grey will go for my nose if I put my face to close. I dont think he likes his personal space invaded or he thinks I am going to feed him ( Like a mum does with worms e.t.c ) I have found with mine , if I dont put my face close , he will come for a kiss of his own accord.

Try moving your hand very very slowly and talk to him/her while you do it. I say ” Good Boy , who is a clever Boy” to mine and it distracts awayf rom your hand. Once my hand is there he likes it. Maybe he is still getting to know you and they will try you at times to see how far they can push you.

I Have also found a calm and stern no thats naughty often works for mine. ( Dont shout ) just show on your face it hurt , and your not best pleased.

My Parrot can read the expressions on my face