Cape Parrots (Poicephalus robustus)
Posted: 11 January 2009 01:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
New Participant
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-06-04

cool smile We have a very small, population of Cape Parrots in the area +- 50.
I would like to try to document and film them over an extemded period of time.
Any advice on vidio equipment will be welcome. I am also looking at the possability of releaing hand reared birds back into the wild to boost the extreamly vunrable population. Any comments on this, for and against, will also be welcome.
Regards,
Nick Wright
Tzaneen,
Limpopo,
South Africa.

Posted: 11 January 2009 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2007-05-25

Hi Nick,

Contact me offline please at:

Roelant

Posted: 12 January 2009 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  91
Joined  2007-04-03

Hi Nick,

If you haven’t done so already, contact Dr. Colleen Downs (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)) about these birds and your interest in working with and photographing them.

For video, there are loads of new options out there.  I would recommend any of the 1080i or 1080p high definition cameras (depending on your specific needs), and especially like the Canon HV30 as it’s cheap and uses miniDV tapes which are also incredibly reasonable.  With a 2x teleconverter (from Ebay they’re cheap), you can get some great stuff with a camera like that.  If you want to spend more, look at the new Canon and Nikon DSLR cameras which shoot HD video, although the Canon is higher res than the Nikon (1080p vs 720p if memory serves), tho’ that’s likely to change by the month as new options arrive.

You’ll need a good tripod if you want to follow moving birds, and often those are as expensive as the camera (look for a true fluid head and a counterbalance spring).

Best of luck!

Jamie

Nick Wright - 11 January 2009 01:24 AM

cool smile We have a very small, population of Cape Parrots in the area +- 50.
I would like to try to document and film them over an extemded period of time.
Any advice on vidio equipment will be welcome. I am also looking at the possability of releaing hand reared birds back into the wild to boost the extreamly vunrable population. Any comments on this, for and against, will also be welcome.
Regards,
Nick Wright
Tzaneen,
Limpopo,
South Africa.

Signature 

Jamie Gilardi
Director
World Parrot Trust

Posted: 12 May 2009 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2009-01-06

Hi Nick, I wish I had seen this post before last month.  My husband and I were there at Kurisa Moya and David Letsoalo took us out to see the Cape Parrots.  They led us on a merry chase due to the bad weather.  The first day, we heard them just a few metres away in the Woodbush Forest but they were obscured by trees, then they took off.  The second day, we saw 5 of them high up in the trees and they stayed around for about 20 minutes calling to each other before they took off.  They circled the area a few times before heading off to forage.

I have a Canon 450D and unfortunately only the 55-250 IS lense, I wish I had the 100-400 or even 500 but the budget doesn’t allow for it right now.  It’s on my wish list.  The photo quality is excellent!

Signature