My African Grey making a strange sound
Posted: 19 January 2009 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
New Participant
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-01-19

He is still very young. I am a new owner and he is 14 weeks old. I just needed some clarification on a few things.

I dont have to many problems , he tends to nibble on me a little (puts his beack on me) but appiles no preassure so its not painfull and sometimes he will jump at me with it wide open. it sort of looks like hes waiting for me to drop a worm in his mouth kinda thing.

He still flies to me when I call , and he has no problem with contact on the head or anywhere else.

he does however make this very strange low level sound its very hard to describe. A low pitch squeek is as close as I can get to it. If you like I can record it.

I just wonderd if I was starting to upset him/her so I can end doing it imediatly as I dont want to break the trust I do have ( I have read the trust bank account)

I have been hand feeding him grapes ( Which appear to be his fav ) which is how I taught him to fly to me when I say come here then.

Other times , he chirps loudly which I think thats when he is pleased. So I am hoping the other chirp is not hes angry.

I should point out its not very loud so hes not screaming. ( His chrips can be tho ).

other than that I have grown to love him very much ( only had him a short time ) and he/she already has a personality.

I have seen some growling vidos on you tube and I dont think its that , as he its not a constant sound , only a short burst

Posted: 22 January 2009 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2007-05-28

David,

Greys that have learned a basic growl sound from their parents when very young, then were taken away from their parents and handfed by humans often will not know exactly when to use a growl vocalisation, nor will they completely growl in long phrases, but will go from a beg to a discomfort noise to a short growl and back to a beg noise all in a short span.  It is difficult to analyse sometimes and impossible without hearing it of course—-best thing I would say from afar is to include a close regard for body language at the time of the vocalisation and that will let you know how the bird is using it (sometimes used in more than one way in a handfed baby!)

cool smile  cool smile

Posted: 22 January 2009 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
New Participant
Rank
Joined  2009-01-19

He jumps forward with his neck usually. he has never bitten my hard , but he does like to put his beack on your finger. I will try and record some on my mobile and attach it

Posted: 23 January 2009 03:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
New Participant
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-05-01

He could be asking for food if he is making those type of noises. Is he fully weaned and do you still hand feed him at all?

Posted: 23 January 2009 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
New Participant
Rank
Joined  2009-01-19

He is totally on dry food. I did mix it with a little water but thats not needed now. He makes all sorts of new sounds everyday. he has developed a angry laugh.

For example , he has figured out how to get out of his cage perfectly but when he has had enough he for some reason gets back on the door , then tries to get in and the door closes on him , he gets very upset then. Its very funny to watch. I have tried to show him how to do it , but he is hell bent on doing it himself. He doesnt really want my help on many things he wants to do it himself. When I try to put him back in on my hand , he withh grip hold of the cage with his beack and put himself back out , and he tell me off for it.

He is developing a very funny personality and he is very independant.
I bought him a new purch for the window so he can hang there high up away from the ground , he decided he didnt like the bark , and has totally stripped it down to pure wood.
He has totall trust in me now which is fantastic , I can do whatever I like to him without any problems. I can stroke his head and he doesnt even flintch. He flies to me when I call him , so to everyone else patience does really pay off.
Unfortunatly I have been called away on a emergency business meeting in Las Vegas ( I am in the UK ) for 7 days , so I am not sure how he is going to be when I get home. Hopefully he will forgive me and remember. I have the video I talked about but its in 3GP format so I am figuring out how to convert it.

Posted: 23 January 2009 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2007-05-28

I would think he did not strip all the bark because he “did not like it” but because he is a strong chewer and needs to be using his beek.  You need to keep giving him fresh branches with bark to work on—especially if you are away for a few days. He will glean play and minerals from the chewing. Also, totally dry food for an African grey is not optimal. He needs soaked pulses and greens and cooked lentils and buckwheat and fruit pips and some oil nuts and a bit of quality seed mix and a variety. If you have a chance you can look up Greg Glendell (just do a google search) in the UK and ask him some of your questions and how he feeds and exercises his greys. He is an expert on greys.    cool smile  cool smile