Hello! :)
Posted: 05 March 2010 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
New Participant
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-03-05

I would like any and all advice please smile.  I am very new to bird keeping with no experience what so ever, but have always wanted a parrot.  Two days ago a friend of mine said he needed a new home for his parrot, and my husband and I agreed to take her.  She’s a Nanday Conure named Jack.  I’ve been doing a lot of reading, but I have some specific questions I’d like to ask.

I read on the internet that I shouldn’t take Jack out and interact with her for atleast a week, but she’s already been out and interacted positively with three different people before I read this information, she is already happy to groom me, let me pet her and cuddle up.  Is this okay?

Jack squawks for attention a lot, and squawks very loudly whenever me or my husband leaves the room, I’m guessing this is normal too?  Is there anything I can do to stop it?  Most times of the day it’s fine but I leave for work at 6:30am some days and I don’t want to disturb my neighbours or my housemate.  Also, she was sitting with me this morning whilst my husband got ready to go to work, when he left she flew back to her cage and wouldn’t come out again, is this just another part of her settling in?

Finally, today I tried to encourage Jack to step up onto my finger (this is before I read on the internet that I shouldn’t pester her too much in the first week…) and she began to bite.  I didn’t pull away or shout, but I did tell her gently but firmly no biting, and I closed up the cage and walked away.  Is this the right thing to do?

Thanks to anyone for any advice…  smile.

Posted: 18 August 2010 03:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
New Participant
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-07-16
chrisxtina - 05 March 2010 05:13 AM

I read on the internet that I shouldn’t take Jack out and interact with her for atleast a week, but she’s already been out and interacted positively with three different people before I read this information, she is already happy to groom me, let me pet her and cuddle up.  Is this okay?

That’s ok, and it’s actually mostly for the baby parrots to be socialized very much in the beginning. But as Jack is already older bird, socializing alot in the starting doesn’t really help anymore - it should now be done continuously or occasionally throughout the parrot’s life though, but not that much more in the starting for the older bird. smile

Jack squawks for attention a lot, and squawks very loudly whenever me or my husband leaves the room, I’m guessing this is normal too? Is there anything I can do to stop it?

Well, you can train her not to do it. It’s not that every bird should do it - it could turn out to be very annoying.. wink
Depending how many times Jack has been teached that attention screaming works, meaning; how many times her last owner accepted it by coming back, or shouting something to/at him. Jack just learned it works when beloved person and her flock member disappears, you can scream and get somekind of answer to it. Screaming back at her doesn’t work as some people think, parrots don’t understand what you’re saying (you love her screams or don’t like it), it just encourages her to shout you out more, because the person answered! You coming back is also a good thing to her, and if you cover the cage when she screams, she learns to be scared of you when you come near coz she never knows what happens.

To train out from attension screaming, you just ignore it. When there’s just a little longer guiet-period, example few seconds, come back. Never come when Jack is screaming. If she starts again - leave. And if she starts to do some nice voices, like little kiss-noice or something like that, you can encourage her doing that instead of screaming by answering her, first in the same room as a fun game, then another room. Example telling her ‘good girl’, and doing the same noice she does.
Wild parrots use screaming when partner disappears or they get lost from their flock, but you can actually switch the way of keeping the contact whenever you’re in other room, and still tell Jack you hear her and you haven’t abandoned her, or got lost as she thinks.

Also, she was sitting with me this morning whilst my husband got ready to go to work, when he left she flew back to her cage and wouldn’t come out again, is this just another part of her settling in?

I don’t see anything wrong with that. If Jack wants to go in her cage, she must be let to do that.
Parrots are not like dogs; dogs like to play all day long with their owner, but parrots also need some time on their own. This doesn’t mean Jack wanted to be mean to you or anything, she just wanted to go play, sleep or eat in her cage.
By the way, is she getting enough sleep every night, the 12 hours? It must be dark and guiet 12 hours. She also needs a nap times during the day.

Finally, today I tried to encourage Jack to step up onto my finger (this is before I read on the internet that I shouldn’t pester her too much in the first week…) and she began to bite.

That is completely natural way for a parrot - or any animal in that case - to protect itself against something bad. It’s the last thing in parrots’ mind, usually first reaction is escaping. I bet Jack tried moving or leaning away, but you just didn’t listen to her, and the only option left was to bite. You shouldn’t punish her for that.

What if your partner said “now come outside!”. You don’t feel like it and you tell him that, but he just takes your hand and pulls you out against your will, with violence. Would it hurt you? Would your trust be hurt? Of course it would!
But if your partner would had payed you to come, or said: “you get this chocolate bar if you come out just for a while”, would you go? You propably would.
That’s how the parrot basicly sees the situation.

In this case Jack just didn’t want to step up. What’s wrong with it?
And is she actually tame? Or is she always forced to step up, and called “tame”?

If she is actually tame, she could’ve been just tired or something, and she didn’t feel like stepping up. First try giving her some space for couple of days. Take some treats she loves and try to get her to step up with them. When she does, call her good girl, and keep her on your hand for a while, then let her go. If she starts looking at a perch or starts clearly think she is gonna fly away, you can even take her to the perch yourself. She will start to trust you, and the more you give her reasons to trust you, the more she will enjoy being with you. Because she knows you listen to her, and she don’t have to be scared of you, you wouldn’t do anything she didn’t want to.

I didn’t pull away or shout, but I did tell her gently but firmly no biting, and I closed up the cage and walked away.

Jack saw it like this:
- Her parner comes up.
-  Partner puts familiar “perch” (hand) front of her.
- She tries to tell gently to the partner by moving away that she isn’t right now comfortable with the situation.
- Then the partner possibly even starts to touch her chest, and she is trapped and confused. She bites: “don’t touch me, you’re being mean! Why you doing that?!”. 
- The flock member makes a low, scary noice: “dskjgof djhgiofdjhiofdj” (parrot doesn’t understand what the hell you just said, it’s just weird), and the partner locks her in the cage, and disappears.

What do you think about that? As a parrot, what would you learn? Nothing? Me neither.

‹‹ Wet nostrils ??      Leg band decoding ››