Need Positive Reinforcement Suggestions
Posted: 05 March 2010 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
New Participant
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-03-05

I am so happy to have found this site! Spent the last hour reading posts!

I need some advice on what to use as a positive reinforcement treat. I adopted a year old Sun Conure about two months ago. He was ill so our training has been slow going. I have been making huge progress by rewarding his “quiet” in the cage with sunflower seeds. He is a lot quieter now.

The problem is trying to train him other things outside of the cage. Any reward I try to give him he just throws on the floor. I am just looking for suggestions on what treats to give him as a reward. The only thing he really loves is alfredo noodles, but not the easiest thing to carry around in my hand.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Posted: 26 May 2010 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
New Participant
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-04-06

Hi MMM,  Suggesting a treat for your bird is not easy.  It really depends on the individual, their level of hunger, and their mood.  I have 2 green-cheeked conures and have found that sunflower seeds are eagerly welcomed at any time.  Other treats include corn niblets (the soft, previously frozen kind), dried cranberries, raisins, Neutraberries (especially tropical flavors).  They have also developed a taste for specific cereals, such as Mini Wheats and the dehydrated strawberries from Paul Neuman’s cereal.  Of course, your level of interest and enthusiasm plays a huge role.  If you act like you are really enjoying the treat - your bird probably will too! 
Best of luck!  Sincerely, Pam

Posted: 06 June 2010 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Active Participant
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2007-05-28

Always better to hold training sessions BEFORE meals so that he is more receptive to treats.  Shelled walnuts are favorites of our suns. Small pieces so they cannot fill up on two or three big ones. cool smile

‹‹ New CAG...need advice      Advice please..... ››