Life Insurance Gifts
When you chose to make a gift of life insurance you are making a lasting impact towards efforts to save endangered parrots.
A gift of life insurance is for you if:
- You are a younger donor who wants to make a significant gift.
- Your estate most likely won't have substantial assets to distribute to non-family members.
How the gift is made is up to you. Here are a couple of options to consider.
Option 1: Designating the WPT as a Beneficiary of an Insurance Policy
With this choice you name the World Parrot Trust as primary beneficiary of your life insurance policy or as an alternate should your other beneficiaries not survive you. The benefits from your policy then pass directly to WPT.
- Involves little effort or paperwork. Simply contact your insurance carrier and request a beneficiary form.
- You continue to own your policy.
- You can change your mind and your beneficiaries at any time.
- Your gift will ensure parrots will be protected.
By taking this simple action you will gain the personal satisfaction in knowing that you are providing for the people and causes that matter most to you.
Option 2: Making an Gift of a Paid-up Insurance Policy
Alternatively, you can make a difference by donating your paid-up life insurance policy to the World Parrot Trust. If the policy has a cash value, the WPT would have the option of either holding the policy until the maturity date or surrendering the policy.
- In certain circumstances, you may be able to claim an income tax deduction.
- Removes the asset from your potential gross taxable estate.
- Your gift will ensure that parrots will be protected.
It is important that you name the World Parrot Trust as the irrevocable owner of the policy and not just its beneficiary. If you retain ownership of the policy, the government will not allow you to deduct your premium payments, even if you are making them on our behalf. Please check with your investment advisor or estate planner to make sure that you receive the maximum benefit to which you are entitled.
Important reminder: Please contact our Development/Major Gifts team to learn more, and don't forget to tell us of your plans so that we can properly thank you!